A brief comment on how the mounting assembly works is though appropriate as it is
not obvious from the drawings or photographs. The two side members are not held firm
by their fixing screw but are free to rotate. In use, they are first pivoted to be
at 90° compared to that shown. This then enables the clamp plate to be tilted so
as to position it below the bed shears, and with that done they are returned to the
position shown where they then just sit in place waiting the arrival of the filing
The photograph shows that the sides have ears the purpose of which is to retain the
filling machine after it has been put in place until the fixing screws are collected
and fitted, it could not be simpler! The finished result being shown in Photograph
29 . Only putting on the belt tension would benefit from being made simpler but
I decided that this would necessitate undue complication.
The viewer may though be interested in my method of adding the slots in the machine
base, Photograph 30, as this uses my high profile clamps to secure the part whilst
the slots are being machined.
I upped the speed in stages and found the following. At 400 SPM the machine ran very
smoothly and was still smooth at 700SPM. When going up to 1000SPM vibration was
becoming a factor though far from dangerously so, but would not use it at this speed.
Rather than being in the back gear speed ranges I had moved into the top range of
speeds where the countershaft was at its highest speed. Therefore, instead of my
step down belt ratio the reverse would obviously be worthwhile but as I do not have
any aluminium larger than 60mm diameter I will stay with what I have as it is not
I have not given a size for this as it is dependant on many factors but the following
details of the speeds I have used should help the viewer to choose a suitable diameter
for his or her situation.
Quite mistakenly, I originally felt that I may need a speed that would take me into
the back gear range of my lathe and to minimise this possibility I chose to include
a step down ratio in the belt drive so as to keep the lathe speed as high as possible.
Therefore, I chose a 40mm pulley on the lathe with one 60mm on the machine. I initially
started by running the machine at speeds of around 150 strokes per minute finding
this very easy going for the machine but obviously too slow for a reasonable rate
of material removal