The main features of these clamps are-
1. Ease of use
2. Compact, very beneficial with the limited space on most faceplates and angle plates.
3. The packing is captive prior to using the clamp to fasten the workpiece.
4. As the packing is captive it cannot be dropped when clamping the workpiece or
thrown from the assembly when the lathe is running.
Faceplate and Angle plate Clamps. Harold Hall
5. When the workpiece is held it is easy to loosen an individual clamp and packing
piece to make minor adjustments to its position.
6. Being compact the operator is less likely to come into contact with it whilst
the lathe is running. Working with a faceplate is though still a dangerous operation.
7. Copes with a wide range of workpiece heights.
8. Very easy to make within the home workshop.
Simple example of the clamps in use. Click on image for a larger view.
The Workshop Practice Series Book number 39,
“Model Engineers’ Workshop Projects” has more detail regarding these clamps.
For more information, click on the image.